Riley’s Tavern, Hunter’s oldest business, is housed in a circa 1895 building that was the galloway saloon and later home to the Bernardino Sanchez family. In 1933, Texas was the 23rd state to vote for the repeal of prohibition. Shortly thereafter, J.C. Riley and his uncle drove a Model T to the steps of the state capitol in Austin to obtain the first license issued in Texas – Number 00001. At the stroke of midnight on Sep. 14, 1933, 3.2% beer could be sold and Comal County had sufficient stock available to meet the demand. Riley operated the business until his death in 1992. His tavern, midway between Austin and San Antonio, has been a popular destination for decades of travelers, with many from neighboring dry counties.